Sunday, February 10, 2008

Interview Articles

I just read a pair of articles that each dealt with interview strategies. The first suggested telling stories during an interview. I was hoping this article would basically grant me permission to tell prospective employers about my grandfather and great uncle getting into fist fights or how I have almost died a time or two, thus casting myself as a likable and easy going guy, but it really focused on telling relevant stories about past work environments. Though, I suppose even this is better than just throwing around some general achievements. I can see how if I was hiring, hearing an actual story from an interviewee about them overcoming obstacles might make him or her attractive. This is advice I will certainly remember. The other article I read was about asking questions to interviewers, and the author really gave some great examples. The author even suggests tailoring the questions to who's doing the interviewing. He further points out some dumb questions like "How much vacation do I get?" or "How long is the lunch break?" Basically, the question should reveal knowledge of and interest in the company with which you are interviewing.

No comments: