Saturday, February 23, 2008

Accomplishments

In interviews, it is common to be asked about one's accomplishments and which stand out the most or for which one you are most proud. I have been asked that question, and it can be tough to answer. When I think of my accomplishments, I realize that I really have none. This is not meant to come across as grossly humble or even self-loathing; rather, it is meant to be honest. What many may label as accomplishments I can see only as opportunities in my life. I had the opportunity to attend a great high school with caring teachers and run for a track and cross country team with supportive team members and coaches. I have had the opportunity to work at jobs that have taught me, built my character, and often given me joy. Amidst all of this, my parents have been unconditionally supportive. All of this is to say that I really have done very little when it comes to any accomplishments or things to be proud of in my life. Most of things that I am proud of in my life have literally fallen into my lap. So, what does mean for me? I believe it means because God has so richly blessed me I can only serve his kingdom with what he has given me. What does this mean for me 5 years down the road? I don't know. I may be in Africa interning for Engineering Ministries International, designing efficient homes for folks there. I may be living in a suburb, serving in a church body and designing your everyday commercial buildings while dealing with clients and co-workers in a way that the Gospel commands. Regardless, I long for God to be at work in my life and in my relationships. Such working will produce more joy than any accomplishment.

No comments: