Monday, January 14, 2008

Web 2.0 and the new you you never knew, but everyone else did

Because I am tired, cranky, and ready for bed, I have to take a despairing approach toward this video and say first that Mr. Wesch's title is a fair attempt at wit and cleverness, or to put it more candidly, he's not saying our computers are us/ing us. Rather, they are screwing us, or at least we are allowing them to do so. Web 2.0 will have and already has affected those entering and currently a part of todays workforce. For example, Web 2.0 makes launching sharpened pencils into ceiling tiles completely obsolete, as employees now have the opportunity to stalk those whom they barely even know on facebook. Facebook, along with the plethora of other social networking sites, blogs, and forums, will undoubtedly give further rise to questions of how one should behave and interact online as opposed to real life, or in an entanglement of both (like in 6th grade when I would IM this girl all night and never acknowledge her in the cafeteria, something that did not impress her) whether it be in the context of relationships, authorship and copyright, or even security and identity. Web 2.0 connects employers to employees and employees to employees in unimaginable ways and even connects individuals to themselves in unimaginable ways. For example, this blog is connected with my e-mail account that is connected with my Amazon account that is connected to my checking and savings account that is connected to my credit card account that is connected with my credit score and financial future, and all of this information is somewhere on the web. It's certainly convenient, but it may be too convenient and too easy. I suppose I may just shut down my computer and read a musty book by candlelight. Tomorrow, I'll bury some cash in my backyard and invite my closest facebook friends over for face-to-face conversation.

No comments: