Sunday, January 27, 2008

10 years from today

Ten years from this moment, I hope to be at a stage in life that puts me in bed with my bride-to-be by 10 and gets me up at 5. Once up and out of bed, I would like to have some assortment of animals to tend, whether that tending include gathering eggs from hens or tossing a few leaves of hay to a baby lamb. It may also include filling a dog bowl, but I sure hope it doesn't include sprinkling fish food into a bowl or flicking some pellets to a gerbil. I want real animals. After chores, I would enjoy running a few miles before leaving for work. Once at work, it would really be my desire to serve. Assuming I'll be a licensed architect with a certificate in historic preservation by this time, it would tickle me to serve by preserving our tangible past. I suppose this ambition is rooted in a deeper desire for restoration which leads me admit that if God wills it, I will be content living in foreign country seeing not only the laying of physical foundations and the construction and restoration of sustainable built environments but also spiritual restoration and the laying of eternal firm foundations through ministries like Engineering Missions International. Regardless of where I am, I hope to be making a mockery of the infamous statement, "College was the best __ years of my life". I hope this springs from a faith that is ever being sanctified, a relationship with a beautiful woman that gets better each day, and maybe even a baby Noah, Abraham (we would call him Abe), or Emma Kate. I suppose I can forget sleeping from 10 to 5 if any of those three are with us.

No comments: