Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ethics article

The LRN ethics covered research that suggests many American workers are distracted by ethics-breaking at their jobs, leading to less productivity. My big issue with the article is that it was vague about ethics-breaking. It suggest 75% of American workers were distracted by ethical lapses, but it did not really define how severe of an ethical lapse that may be or even give a generic example. If the researchers see an issue such as one employee stealing a few paper clips from another as an ethical lapse, then the 75% sounds low. If they define it as something more severe such as an employer embezzling company funds, then the 75% figure is a little more alarming. The methodology of the researchers came across as well grounded, but I always wonder whether or not those willing to take surveys over the phone are really representative of the average American. Most normal people I know hate responding to callers wishing to take over-the-phone surveys. If I was being bothered by someone acting unethically at work, I might first approach him or her personally about the matter, depending on the severity. If it was a more serious matter or repetitious, then I would approach superiors. I would not want to take a 'not my problem' attitude.

No comments: